Closing date: midnight on 23rd August 2015
Sole Judge: Alison Brackenbury who will read all entries
1st prize-£600. Runner-up- £300. 5 x commended-£50 each.
The Gloucestershire Prize- £200. (for Gloucestershire residents only).
Download postal instructions and entry form here
Entry fees: Postal entries; £4 per poem or 3 poems for £10.
Email entries will carry a surcharge for PayPal & printing costs:
One poem £4.35, two poems £8.70, three poems £11
Proceeds of the competition will be used to fund ‘Buzzwords’, which is the longest running and most respected regular poetry gathering in Cheltenham.
“A warm, intelligent – and going on the evidence of the floor readings – a very talented group, Buzzwords was a great venue for reading and listening.” – George Szirtes
Rules of Entry.
1. Poems should be no longer than 70 lines.
2. No translations are accepted.
3. Poems must not have been previously published in print or on the internet.
4. Entries must be clearly typed on single side(s) of A4 paper in a clear font e.g. Arial 12 point. No curly or obscure fonts please.
5. Please leave a reasonable margin on the paper so that it is legible when printed and kept in a file.
5. Handwritten entries will not be considered.
7. Entrants’ names should not appear on the poems. An entry form or covering letter or email should accompany all entries and contain name, phone number, address, email address and titles of poems entered.
8. Entries must be received by midnight on 23rd August; postal entries will be accepted if they are postmarked no later than 21st August.
9. Entries for the Gloucestershire prize should mark their poems with ‘GL’ in the top right hand corner.
10. Gloucestershire, for the purposes of the competition, includes South Gloucestershire
11. Entrants may enclose an s.a.e. marked ‘Results’ for postal notification of the prize-winners or state in their cover letter/email that email notification is preferred.
12. Results will also be published on the Buzzwords Competition Website.
13. Prize winners will be contacted by October 2015; winners will be welcome to read their poems at the next ‘Buzzwords’
14. The judge’s decision will be final and we regret that no correspondence will be entered into.
15. Copyright will remain with the competitor, but Buzzwords reserves the right to publish the winning poems on the website, or to use them in publicity, for 12 months after the results are announced.
16. Poems may not be altered after entry.
17. Cheques should be clearly made out to ‘Cheltenham Poetry Cafe’.
Further details Buzzwords Poetry